Sunday, December 30, 2012

Roman Holiday Reflection





Roman Holiday is one of my favorite films of all time. A princess (Audrey Hepburn) escapes the burdens of royal life one evening, and falls in love with and American (Gregory Peck) in Rome. 
This is what true cinema is about, and it's why it has endured as one of the greatest films. Nominated for 10 Academy Awards and Winner of 3 including Best Actress for new comer Hepburn. 

Princess Ann: "I hate this nightgown. I hate all my nightgowns, and I hate all my underwear too.
Countess: "My dear you have lovely things."
Princess Ann: "But I'm not two hundred years old. Why can't I sleep in pajamas?"

This is how we start our film out, and this is why it won a Best Writing Academy Award as well. 

Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn were born to play opposite each other in this dazzling spectacle of silver screen glory. 


Gregory Peck told the producers that Audrey was certainly going to win the Oscar for best actress, even though it was her first role. He insisted they put her name above the title. The producers did, and Audrey won just as predicted. Audrey won the role of Princess Ann thanks to a legendary screen test. Audrey had performed one of the scenes from the film and they kept rolling after the director said "Cut". Several more minutes of spontaneous acting was caught of her which won her the role. 

Frank Capra originally was set out to direct this film with stars Cary Grant and Elizabeth Taylor. 
Now don't get me wrong, I love Cary Grant and Liz.... but this film would not have had the same impact on cinema. William Wyler did a fantastic job orchestrating this film that was the first to be shot entirely in Italy. 


The mouth of truth scene is my favorite scene. William Wyler who is known for his reputation of doing a lot of takes, shot this scene in one take. Audrey did not know that Peck was to hide his hand in his sleeve as he pulls it out. Her reaction is so genuine and wonderful that Wyler couldn't help but make this his only take. 

Paramount Studios also gave Hepburn the entire wardrobe from the film, shoes, handbags, jewelry, hats. 

Princess Ann: " At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper. " 
Joe Bradley: " And that will be the end of the fairy tale. "

What a fairy tale this movie is. If it were a cartoon, Princess Ann would be my favorite Disney Princess of all. I am eagerly anticipating Roman Holiday being restored and released on Bluray


We really lack this kind of honest and good type of film making in Hollywood these days. Roman Holiday is billed as a Romantic Comedy, can you remember the last romantic comedy to be nominated for 10 Academy awards? Shakespeare in Love is as close as it gets I think. There is such a pure subtlety 
in this film that resonates with how much our society has changed these days. I for one, miss the past of classic movies such as Roman Holiday and wish that studios would try to go back to what made Hollywood .... Hollywood. 

The final scene in Roman Holiday when Joe Bradley is walking out of the Palace is warm but gut wrenching also. You want for Princess Ann to come running out to him, alas she does not. Brings me to tears a little every time I watch. Hopefully we all get to experience a day whatever it may be with adventure, passion, fun, and romance like that which is in Roman Holiday.