Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Best Batman Keaton Vs Bale




courtesy of Warner Bros. & DC Comics 


Who's the better Bat??
 Is it Bale? or Keaton? The Best Batman becomes our first Cinema Debate at SS77. 

Michael Keaton recently stated he wanted to star in a 3rd Batman with Burton. The two wanted it to be an origin story that dives deeper into why Batman is who he is. Producers at the time didn't want that route.... yet. 

So now that we have finished another donning of the cowl, we ask the question.... who has been the better Batman? 
Be assured we are not asking who is a better Bruce Wayne... just who portrays The Dark Knight more convincingly?

I have been thinking about this question and wondering myself. I am very biased and favor Keaton. I think most people's knee jerk reaction is to choose Bale. Why? You have to separate Nolan's Direction and Burton's Direction in order to really find an honest opinion I think. Very different films, styles, scripts, etc. 

We were able to see Bale create the Batman for Nolan's film version in Batman Begins. I thought we were able to see Bruce Wayne's trials that led him to become Gotham's savior and hero.  I honestly think this hurts Bale in a way. I think he is too humanized. I get that it's an origin story, blah, blah, blah. I just never felt a mystique with Bale. Please don't mistake this as I didn't enjoy Bale thoroughly as Batman, because I did. I am really sad we won't have an opportunity to see him in the role again. I just believe that Keaton's Batman was darker. Even in a more comic type atmosphere production that Burton had. Keaton really was Batman. No real emotion, a subtlety that you see in the character on cartoon episodes. 
Keaton just seemed to embody the character better. He wanted to be Batman. I always got a sense that Bale didn't like the role. 

Anyways... enough of my opinion and view. 

I want to hear yours. 

Check out our forum to the right above. Feel free to register and let me know what you think. 

-Jason Traylor
Editor@SS77



No comments: